It brings me such great pleasure to do my first “Featured Retail Spotlight” on this amazing find in the Soho area of NYC (specifically 347 W. Broadway)-Greene Street. One of the many great things about Greene Street is that they have multiple locations-6 in Pennsylvania and 3 in New Jersey. I strongly urge to those who want designer pieces, which are also at a low cost, to visit Greene Street.
Greene Street was founded in 1997. Their 16 successful years in retail business has to be attributed, at least in part, to the company’s strong and sound mantra-“Shop, Recycle & Consign.” Greene Street is a consignment store, but offers a unique point of view with consignment- it’s not just selling consignors’ clothing so they can get a profit, its actually Recycling fashion. Their website mentions that the average person throws away 68 pounds of clothing per year. So for Greene Street, by consigning, you are recycling your clothing/fashion!
With Greene Street, it’s very easy to find current brands. Another mantra is, “We accept Gap to Gucci.” However, Greene Street also seeks to find and put out unique pieces of eye-catching style. New inventory is added to the stores everyday so here is just a sample of what I found in the Soho store. There are items for both men and women. For women there are dresses, jewelry, handbags, shoes, summer blouses/tanks, shorts/skirts, denim/jeans and more. I saw designer brands such as Dolce & Gabbana, Banana Republic, Nanette Lepore, Alexander Wang, Club Monaco, Alice & Olivia, Betsey Johnson and more. For men there are also shoes, shorts, sports/dress coats, dress shirts and denim/jeans. I saw designs by Calvin Klein, 7 for all Mankind, Diesel, Ralph Lauren, Nautica, American Eagle, and more. Also, no worries for trying items on as there were several dressing rooms at the Soho shop.
Being a Greene Street customer is so easy because you just walk into the store! It is also fairly easy to consign with Greene Street and a lot of information is on their webpage. There is a very helpful FAQs page and a calendar page so that as a consignor you know what items are being accepted and when. Here are just a few of the main points:
- No appointment is necessary and you can come in 7 days a week.
- No yearly fee; 60 day contract term with no price reductions
- Consignor receives 40% commission – no outright buying.
- 10 piece minimum, no maximum to start a contract
- Items folded in bags, no hangers or shoe boxes
- There is no children’s, bridal, lingerie or maternity.
- Pricing is left solely to the discretion of Greene Street.
So take some time to visit Greene Street and experience great fashion at great prices, and also some recycling of your own if you want to consign!
- 45 Minutes in SoHo (thetrendery.com)
- Pop Some Tags: 5 Kid-Centric Consignment Stores that Rock (redtri.com)
- Sisters team up for women’s upscale consignment sale Sept. 13-14 (knoxnews.com)
- Get Organized: Shopping Seasonal Kids’ Consignment Sales (faithfulprovisions.com)