The nonprofit Fashion Law Institute is the world’s first academic center dedicated to the law and business of fashion. It was founded by Prof. Susan Scafidi with the support of the Council of Fashion Designers of America and its president, Diane von Furstenberg. FLI is based at Fordham Law School. So of course taking part in the realm of fashion, the Institute too takes part with NYFW/MBFW!
After changing the landscape of the Mercedes Benz Fashion Week runways with last year’s celebrated plus-size fashion show, the Fashion Law Institute once again demonstrated the power of fashion to make a difference in women’s lives with their show featuring designer Carrie Hammer. (pictured below, Carrie & Susan Scafidi — chic date night look for the woman on the go & a fitted red cocktail dress, perfect for the workplace to a cocktail hour)
Carrie’s collection consists of a wide range of styles — business, business casual, dressy casual, outerwear, and more. Walking the runway in the show were role models from throughout the business and nonprofit worlds —
- Founder of The Campbell Firm, PLLC — Emily Campbell
- Writer for Upworthy — Phoebe Gavin — chic navy blue wrap dress, a staple for any professional woman’s closet
- Founder & Chief Visionary Officer for Save the Date — Jennifer Gilbert
- Founder of ThePath & Co-founder of Blip — Dina Kaplan
- Founder of Shoppable (72 Lux Inc) — Heather Marie
- Fashion lawyer, journalist and former fashion model Uduak Oduak, — newspaper print belted dress, a modern twist on professional businesswear
- General Counsel & AppNexus Creator of Founder’s Workbench — Nithya Das
- Nurse & Participant for “Raw Beauty Talks” — Karen Crespo
- CEO & Founder of Hint, Inc — Kara Goldin
- Managing Director of BlackRock — Kara Helander
- Founder & CEO of LTW Communications — Lindsey Taylor Wood
- Marketing Consultant — Lindsay Todd Merkle
- Transgender model and Gender Proud founder Geena Rocero, — perfect black blazer w/ embellishments, paired w/ LBD, blazer on for work, blazer off for happy hour!
- Change the Ratio co-founder Rachel Sklar
- Race car driver and TechDrive founder Collete Davis
- Global Manager of Client Engagement, Risk & Security Dept. for Bloomberg LP — Jo Ryan — chic businesswear for the artsy, PR, or fashion mogul
- Advisor to the US Chief Technology Officer at the White House Office of Science & Technology Policy — Vivian Graubard
- Founding Director of BridgeUp, STEM — Christina Wallace
- Writer with Fast Company & Business Punk — Leah Hunter
- Intuit brand and innovation leader Karen DeFrias — olive green dress, very much needed casual businesswear
- Creator & Host for “The Valley Girl Show”, also CEO of Valley Girl, Inc. — Jesse Draper
- Acquisition leader for Technology Talent — Minoo Ayat
- Founder of Grayce & Co. — Kathleen Griffith
- Principal with SHoP — Kimberly Holden — even the professional woman needs to dress it up every now & then!
- Co-founder of Change the Ratio — Rachel Sklar
- CEO & Founder of CatalystCreativ — Amanda Slavin
- Quadruple amputee Karen Crespo. — fit & flare red dress, perfect to dress up or down!
Designer Carrie Hammer is an alumna of FLI’s Fashion Law Bootcamp, a program in which everyone from designers to attorneys learns how fashion law can help a fashion business. Carrie is one of the many fashion professionals helping the Fashion Law Institute prove that fashion law isn’t just for lawyers!
Hammer began her label to provide more options of fashionable apparel for professional women. She launched her brand in 2012. She and her line have been featured on CNBC, Fox Business News, Forbes, GMA, Elle, Marie Claire, & Cosmo, just to name a few.
The complete runway show video is on Vimeo. — image below, black suit, leather detailing, great modern twist & take!
The complete list of role models & images are available on Scribd.
Navy blue skirt suit, lace detailing, LOVE!!